Pages

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Sunday 2 March 2014

Remains of Pillbox and Trench - Scarborough

I discovered these remains in the pouring rain last October while looking for a Siberian Stonechat (which I managed to see!!). At the time I thought the trench could even be First War due to its remarkable crenelated outline. I am still unsure if it is First or Second War - most of the Second War surviving trenches I've seen in Suffolk are much more sinuous in outline. However given it's short length I must admit I favour a Second War Section Post, linked to the remains of the destroyed pillbox nearby (a Northern Command Lozenge pillbox).

I had the opportunity to visit again while visiting family this February, and managed to get the following images and GPS plot.





Above: GPS plot of trench, Scarborough. Middle two images show the trench but you have to look hard to pick it out!!. Bottom image shows the field of fire from the trench. 


Above image shows the remains of the Lozenge Pillbox. 


Above: A view of the cliff top position of the trench and pillbox from Scarborough North Bay Beach. 




No comments:

Post a Comment