Pages

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Sunday 14 February 2010

Pottery

Another pleasant sunny afternoon at Westleton. I was not intending to publish a post on this visit as I knew the weapons-pits I was mapping were only shallow depressions. However a few pieces of pottery I found I thought were worth a post on the blog.
The top photo show the pottery stamps on two items found. Both were from potteries in Stoke - Booths Ltd (1891 - 1944) and George Jones & Sons (1873 - 1951, showing their characteristic crescent mark). Besides 303 cartridges they are the first datable evidence I have found (not that you need datable evidence its 1940-45!).
Middle photo is the Booths Ltd piece
Bottom photo is the most interesting earthwork mapped today - two weapons-pits (in red) linked by a crawl trench (in blue).
Weather permitting will visit part of Eastern Command Line tomorrow.


















No comments:

Post a Comment